The average compensation of teachers per month is $25.35. By reference to the foregoing it will be observed that only two-thirds of the scholastic population attend school, and less than one-half are in daily attendance. There are seven frame and twelve log schoolhouses in the county.
The religious history of the territory composing this county began with its first settlers. Among them were pioneer ministers who began to labor in the "Lord's vineyard" when they struck the first blow to erect their log cabins in which to shelter their families. A Mr. Adams, Hardy Holman, John Whittaker, Levi Roberts and Aldrich Brown were ministers and Christian workers among the first settlers, who began their labors, both physical and spiritual, with full
faith that God would reward their efforts.
The Christian workers among the first settlers seem to have been Primitive Baptists and Episcopal Methodists. The former erected the first church within the territory composing this county in the year 1812 or 1813. It was a log structure located at the place known as Bethel, a short distance above Lynchburg. Anthony and Thomas Crawford, James Clark, Champion Bly, William Smith and his son, William, were members of this church.
About 1814 a Methodist Episcopal Church, "Wesley Chapel," was built at "Enoch's Camp Ground." And soon thereafter the Allen Church was erected about one and a half miles below Lynchburg. The Baptists established a church at County Line about the year 1820, and Brannon's Methodist Episcopal Chapel was erected about the same time, and later the Olive Branch Methodist Episcopal Church was erected. Revs. Joseph Smith, Lem Brannon and Stephen M. Dance were among
the pioneer Methodist ministers.
The Ebenezer Church near Marble Hill and the Union Church about five miles southeast of Lynchburg, both belonging to the Evangelical Lutherans, were organized about 1826, and the church of the same denomination at Pleasant Hill was organized about 1845. Rev. William Jenkins was the principal worker in the organization of these churches. He was assisted in pastoral work by Revs. John and Benjamin Scivally and Richard Stephens, who were prominent among the
pioneer preachers. The Waggoners, Scivallys, Awalts and Beans were early members of these churches. Services are continued at these three churches, Rev. L. R. Massey, a resident minister, and others officiating.
Before many church edifices were erected the people of all denominations met at the old camp grounds, near the sparkling waters of some noted spring, and there in the cool shade of the forest mingled their devotions to Him through whose care they had been enabled to endure and overcome the hardships of pioneer life. As the country developed and more churches were erected the camp meetings were finally discontinued.
The first Christian Church in the county was built in Lynchburg in 1849 and dedicated in June of that year by Elder S. E. Jones. This building stood on the present Public Square and was purchased by the county soon after its organization, and used as a courthouse until it burned down in 1883. The first regular ministers of this church were Elders T. W. Brents and Calvin R. Darnall. Since the late civil war Elder Thomas J. Shaw has been and still continues
the regular minister. The first members of this church were Thomas J. Shaw and wife, E. H. Womack and wife, Nancy C. and Eliza Womack, W. P. Bobo and wife, B. H. Berry, R. B. Parks, James McBride, T. E. Simpson and wife, and Sarah J. Simpson.
The Christian Church at County Line was erected in 1877, and dedicated the same year by Elders Wm. H. Dixon and C. M. Crawford. The new Christian Church in Lynchburg was dedicated September 26, 1875, by Elder Thomas J. Shaw. The Methodist Episcopal Church at Lynchburg was established in 1872. The first trustees were J. T. S., J., W. M. and S. E. H. Dance, J. B. Price and B. M. Edens. The ministers have been G. W. Anderson, J. P. Funk, W. C. Collier, T. H.
Hinson, G. W. Winn, J. W. Bell and the present pastor T. L. Darnall. When this church was established, it had a membership of about forty, which has increased to about ninety. The Methodist Episcopal Churches now in the county are; the one just described one at Marble Hill, Brannon's Chapel on Coffee Creek, one at Pleasant Hill, Smith's Chapel, Friendship and Wiseman's Chapel. The Missionary Baptists have a church at Charity. The Baptists, one at County Line and
one at Chestnut Ridge, and the Hurricane Church. The Cumberland Presbyterians have one church, Moore's Chapel, recently established near Charity. The Christians have a church at County Line and one at Liberty Hill. The Primitive Baptist Churches are Bethel, Harbor and Mulberry. There are three colored churches in the county, one Methodist Episcopal and two Christian.
Moore County, Goodspeed's History of Tennessee 1887