Craig

Blount County Tennessee Chancery Court Records 1850 – 1900s

The government of Blount County, Tennessee has created an index for their Chancery Court records covering the years of 1850-1900s. These records are stored in twenty-nine boxes with an archives copy stored on microfilm. This index is reproduced below in a searchable format. Click here to see their pdf version of this index. Chancery court cases contain records of equity cases, some divorces, estate disputes and other private suits.

Tennessee The Volunteer State 1769-1923 title page

Early Blount County Tennessee Forts

Blount County was formed in 1795 from Knox County and named for Governor Wm. Blount. Its county seat, Maryville, was named for Mary Grainger Blount, wife of Governor Wm. Blount. The settlement of this county began in 1785 and the early settlers were much harassed by the Indians. Nine places in this county have been deemed worthy of being commemorated by historical markers. These places are as follows: McGaughey’s Fort Although McGaughey’s Fort was in Sevier County (established in 1794), it was on the line of the old Indian War Trail which extended through Blount County, and was a great …

Early Blount County Tennessee Forts Read More »

A Portion of Map Printed in 1795 showing Blount County

Early History of Blount County, Tennessee

Blount County was created out of Knox County by an act passed at the second session of the territorial assembly at Knoxville, on July 11, 1795, and named in honor of William Blount, the first and only territorial governor. Knox County had been created from fractions of Greene and Hawkins counties in 1792. Greene was created from Washington in 1783, and Washington was established in 1777, the oldest county in the state. Since the creation of Blount County in 1795, the territorial limits have been added to by the Treaty of Tellico, 1798, and Calhoun’s Treaty of 1819. A portion …

Early History of Blount County, Tennessee Read More »

History of Blount County Tennessee

Blount County Tennessee lies between the Tennessee River and the great Smoky Mountain, and south of Knox County. It has an area of about 470 square miles, one-sixth of which is mountain land. It is abundantly supplied with water and water power. The principal stream is Little River, which receives the waters of Crooked Creek, Pistol Creek, Nails Creek and Ellejoy. In the southern and western portions of the county are Abram, Nine Mile, Six Mile, Four Mile, Baker and Boyd Creeks. The mineral resources are abundant. In addition to iron and marble. silver and gold are found in paying …

History of Blount County Tennessee Read More »

Scroll to Top